1st Time a General Secretary of Communist Party Visits Pontiff
VATICAN CITY, January 22, 2013 (Zenit.org).
Nguyen Phu Trong, the general secretary of the Central Committee of the Communist Party of Vietnam, today visited Benedict XVI in the Vatican.
Following the audience with the Pope, First Secretary Trong and his entourage then went on to meet with the Pope's secretary of state, Cardinal Tarcisio Bertone, accompanied by Archbishop Dominique Mamberti, secretary for Relations with States.
This is the first time that a general secretary of the Communist Party of Vietnam has met with the Supreme Pontiff and other administrators of the Secretariat of State.
The Vatican reported that the leaders had "cordial discussions," which touched on "topics of interest to Vietnam and the Holy See ... expressing the hope that some pending situations may be resolved and that the existing fruitful cooperation may be strengthened."
Related news items:
Newer news items:
- Homily for the Solemnity of Saints Peter and Paul - 03/07/2014 14:43
- Vietnam Bishops Annual Meeting I – April 21-25, 2014 - 29/04/2014 14:56
- CBCP's letter thanking for CBCV's letter sharing the sufferings of natural disasters' victims - 25/10/2013 10:02
- Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Vietnam concludes XII Assembly - 23/10/2013 14:56
- Catholic Bishops’ Conference of Vietnam opens its XII Assembly - 12/10/2013 09:38