The seminary was established in 1972. Since 1989, it has given priestly formation to seminarians from Hà Nội archdiocese and seven northern dioceses of Bắc Ninh, Bùi Chu, Hải Phòng, Hưng Hóa, Lạng Sơn, Phát Diệm and Thái Bình. In 2005, it opened a branch in Cổ Nhuế and started to recruit new students yearly.
The seminary was reopened in 1991 with an area of 11,700 square meters. Three central dioceses of Ban Mê Thuột, Nha Trang and Quy Nhơn sent seminarians here to study philosophy and theology. It also offers refresher courses to older seminarians from many dioceses.
The seminary building was built in 1863, then rebuilt in 1963. On March 19, 2012, the first stone laying ceremony of the seminary’s new block was celebrated.
Although the seminary was founded in 2005, its facilities were built in 2009. It trains seminarians from four southern dioceses of Xuân Lộc, Bà Rịa, Phan Thiết and Đà Lạt.