Study on New Media Use by U.S. Catholics to be Featured
WASHINGTON D.C., Nov. 7, 2012 (Zenit.org).- The changing world of social media and its implications will be the theme of discussion as U.S. Bishops address bloggers and social media users on November 11.
The meeting – entitled "An Encounter With Social Media: Bishops and Bloggers Dialogue" – will precede the annual Fall General Assembly of the U.S. Conference of Catholic Bishops (USCCB).
Bishop John Wester of Salt Lake City, chairman of the USCCB Committee on Communications and moderator of the event, said: "We hope this event yields fruitful discussion and a deeper understanding of how social media and the Church can enrich one another."
The encounter will feature a new study by the Center for Applied Research in the Apostolate (CARA), "Catholic New Media Use in the United States, 2012," and responses to the study by a panel.
Panelists include Bishop Christopher Coyne, auxiliary bishop and apostolic administrator of the Archdiocese of Indianapolis; Rocco Palmo, author of the blog Whispers in the Loggia; Mary DeTurris Poust, a Catholic journalist, author and blogger; and Terry Mattingly, author of the syndicated column On Religion and the blog Get Religion.
"Bishops and Bloggers" continues the discussion begun at the Vatican's April 2011 conference for bloggers, sponsored by the Pontifical Council for Social Communications and the Pontifical Council for Culture. The USCCB Department of Communications and the Catholic Communication Campaign are sponsors of next week's gathering.
Newer news items:
- Instrumentum Laboris of FABC X Plenary Assembly - 10/12/2012 11:09
- Pope meets with new Cardinals - 27/11/2012 06:36
- Six New Cardinals Created at Consistory - 27/11/2012 06:21
- FABC Plenary Assemblies: An Attempt to Discern the Signs of the Times in Asia - 15/11/2012 04:58
- Message of Benedict XVI to U.S. president Obama - 09/11/2012 10:15
Older news items:
- Official Summary of the Final Message of the Synod of Bishops - 09/11/2012 10:10
- Papal message for the World Day of Migrants and Refugees - 29/10/2012 23:42
- Church plays an important role in the integration of migrants - 29/10/2012 22:57
- On the Conclusion of the Synod of Bishops - 29/10/2012 15:04
- Final List of Propositions of the Synod of Bishops - 29/10/2012 14:44